20 July 2009

A few days in Sorata (Soundtrack: the river)

After a sleepless night at sub-zero temperatures, we were glad to get into the tightly-packed mini bus and head back to La Paz. Once at the bus station, Colette took a coach back to Cochabamba to finish off her project whereas I'd decided to visit the small town of Sorata for a few days, as my project was pretty much wrapped up. I'd seen a photo of Sorata back in Tupiza, our first stop in Bolivia, and had wanted to visit ever since. It's a beautiful little town, nestled high in the Andes below the spectacular Illampu glacier.

The descent into the valley should have been a wonderful experience in itself, but the mini bus driver seemed to think he was some kind of ralley driver, tearing around the many blind bends along the winding road at a death-wish speed. He seemed intent on driving on the wrong side of the road around each bend which not only meant we couldn't see any oncoming traffic but we were also only inches away from plummeting down the sheer drop to our left. I seriously thought my time had come.

It was all made worth it when I checked into a gorgeous little place with a balcony over looking stunning views, where my bedroom window looked down into a lush valley (and a rustic sign pointing to the nearby reggae bar) from which came the steady sound of the river below.

I spent 3 days walking, reading and just kicking back enjoying the serenity of the place after so long in the city. In Sorata you can go on walks without having to pay or take a guide - a nice break from what I call the 'privatization of wandering'; where one can no longer just walk and enjoy the common land without having to organise it through a tour operator.

As I wondered along roads coated in orange dust I passed whole families up on the hillsides harvesting their corn. Here and there a teathered bull would lazily observe me as I passed and chickens and goats foraged at the roadside. Plumes of grey smoke could be seen rising from various points across the valley as farmers burnt the dry grass to make way for the new crop.

Here are some photos Sorata, a town where I would seriously consider retiring to one day.......

2 comments:

MrDub said...

Looks beautiful mate. I drive down and visit you if you retire there. We can then moan to the young whippernsappers how it was better in our day :-D

Lewis said...

Plan.